NORTHERN NATIVE BROADCASTING YUKON POSITION DESCRIPTION: Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and General Manager
Reporting to Board of Directors (BoD), primarily through its Chair, the General Manager provides executive and strategic management and leadership for Northern Native Broadcasting Yukon (NNBY). The General Manager with the support and assistance of the BoD ensures the development, maintenance, and financial health of a contemporary Yukon First Nation broadcast organization and its technical and network facilities.
- Provide advice and support to the BoD is developing and implementing objectives that achieve long and short term plans for the production and distribution of Yukon First Nation radio and television programming that reflects Yukon First Nation languages, culture, issues and concerns;
- Ensure the operations of the organization are consistent with the CRTC definition of an Aboriginal Broadcast undertaking;
- Ensure and guide the production of Yukon First Nation indigenous and English language radio and television programming and distribution;
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with First Nation, Federal and Yukon Government officials as needed;
- Ensure NNBY maintains a sound financial position through positive cash flow and a healthy income statement and balance sheet characterized by transparency and accountability;
- Maintain a transformative, enabled, rewarding and positive work environment for staff and contractors;
- Manage directly and indirectly both staff and contractors;
- Ensure training and employment opportunities are afforded Yukon First Nation citizens;
- Other related duties.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A degree or diploma in Business Administration with a positive record of achievement that includes at least five years’ management experience or equivalent;
- Ability to make informed decisions and solve problems;
- A transformative leadership style that builds consensus, resolves conflicts and concludes successful negotiations;
- A demonstrated understanding of strategic planning, implementation and annual business planning;
- Demonstrated ability to read, interpret, and report on financial statements;
- Demonstrated ability to positively manage cash flow and working budgets;
- Media experience, an understanding of radio skills and the media value chain;
- Experience building and managing high performance teams;
- Labour law;
- Knowledge and appreciation of Yukon First Nation language and culture and;
- Computer literacy.
Key Contacts and Relationships:
- NNBY BoD
- NNBY staff
- Yukon First Nation Governments
- CYFN leadership and staff
- Heritage Canada and other Yukon First Nation, Federal and Yukon government agencies
- Listeners, viewers, advertisers and customers
- Banking institutions
- Other indigenous broadcasters
- Yukon Media
- Require creativity and resilience
- First Nation cross cultural environment
- Travel in Yukon and Canada
- Commitment both in and out of normal business hours
- The NNBY BoD may consider an equivalent combination of skills and experience. Preference may be provided to qualified Yukon First Nation citizens.
Please provide a letter of interest along with a current resume to email@example.com.
We thank all candidates for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.