CHON-FM Indigenous Radio is looking for a News Reporter Intern to be working under the supervision of the General Manager. Following the Policies of Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon, this position is responsible for gathering, writing, and producing and presenting news with an emphasis on First Nations topics and perspectives. If you’re looking for an exciting career in news reporting with a cultural focus, in a beautiful location with a high quality of life, this is your opportunity to get your foot in the door!
- Identifying news Stories
- Researching, writing, and producing news for Radio broadcasts
- Reading News Casts
- Operate mixing console in studio and in field productions
- Posting Website and Social Media Updates
- Related duties as assigned by the General Manager
Job Knowledge and Skills:
- The ideal candidate will have a high school diploma, supplemented with courses in journalism and English (or currently enrolled in a broadcasting or journalism program), or the equivalent in experience and training.
Preferred Related Skills:
- Knowledge of Yukon First Nation political structures
- Knowledge of Canadian First Nation political structures
- Knowledge of the Umbrella Final Agreement, First Nation Final Agreements, and Self-Government Agreements
- Knowledge of the Yukon Legislative Assembly structure and members
- Knowledge of the Yukon and Federal criminal justice systems
- Ability to learn and operate Newsroom Software
- Research abilities
- Interviewing abilities
- Cross-cultural knowledge
This position must follow the policies of Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon. There is some latitude in pursuing stories relevant to Yukon First Nations, however the incumbent must be able to determine when advice is needed from Management and/or Legal counsel.
Conditions of Employment:
- Current Criminal Record Check
- Valid Yukon drivers license, clean drivers abstract
- Ability to travel throughout Yukon communities; including Rural Locations
- Ability to accept shift-work
- Ability to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to work with other radio personnel
Note that this intern position is part-time temporary (30 hours per week for 12 weeks).
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: May 6, 2019