NORTHERN NATIVE BROADCASTING, YUKON
is looking for a News Reporter.
CHON-FM Radio is looking for a News Reporter to be working under the supervision of the General Manager and following the Policies of Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon, this position is responsible for gathering, writing, and producing and presenting news.
- Identifying news Stories
- Researching, writing, and producing news for Radio broadcasts
- Reading News Casts
- Operate mixing console in studio and in field productions
- Website and Social Media Updates
- Related duties as assigned by the General Manager
Job Knowledge and Skills:
- Grade 12 supplemented with courses in journalism or the equivalent in experience and training.
- Knowledge of Yukon First Nation political structures
- Knowledge of Canadian First Nation political structures
- Knowledge of the Umbrella Final Agreement, First Nation Final Agreements, and Self-Government Agreements
- Knowledge of the Yukon Legislative Assembly structure and members
- Knowledge of the Yukon and Federal criminal justice systems
- Ability to operate a computer
- Ability to learn and operate Newsroom Software
- Research abilities
- Interviewing abilities
- Cross-cultural knowledge
This position must follow the policies of Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon. There is some latitude in pursuing stories relevant to Yukon First Nations, however the incumbent must be able to determine when advice is needed from Management and/or Legal counsel.
Key Personal Contacts:
- Yukon First Nation Chiefs, Councillors and staff
- Council of Yukon First Nations Grand Chief and staff
- Assembly of First Nations National Chief, Vice-chiefs and staff
- Members of the Yukon Legislative Assembly and staff
- Members of Parliament and staff
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Spokespersons for various lobby groups
- Chambers of Commerce
- Spokespersons of various specific interest organizations i.e. Chamber of Mines
- Members of the general public
- Staff of Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid Yukon drivers license, clean drivers abstract
- Undertake NNBY Oath of Confidentiality
- Ability to travel throughout Yukon communities; including Rural Locations
- Ability to accept shift-work
- Ability to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to work with other radio personnel
Note that this position is part-time, but could evolve into a full-time position.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail it to:
Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon
#260 2237-2nd Ave Whitehorse ,YT Y1A OK7
$4.5 Billion Committed to Indigenous Initiatives in Federal Budget
Education investments include $26 million over five years to Yukon College to help create a new science building at the future university, which will aim to incorporate increased Indigenous knowledge in future curriculum in the space.
Healing Camp For Families Impacted by MMIWG Wraps Up in Old Crow
The four-day event consisted of sled dog rides, snowmobiling trips, and a history of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation.
Yukon Avalanche Association Telling Yukoners to Exercise Caution in Backcountry Following Warmer Temperatures
Following an avalanche warning issued for many areas in Western Canada, the Yukon Avalanche Association is telling Yukoners to exercise caution if travelling in the backcountry.