NORTHERN NATIVE BROADCASTING, YUKON
- is looking for a News Reporter
CHON-FM Radio is looking for a News Reporter to be working under the supervision of the senior managing team following the Policies and Bylaws of Northern Native Broadcasting Yukon.
The News Reporter is responsible for gathering, writing, producing and presenting live news, Identifying news stories, often with a First Nations topic
- Identifying news stories
- Researching, writing, and producing news content for radio broadcasts
- Presenting live News Casts in on-air studio setting
- Operate technical radio equipment in studio and field production environments
- Ability to speak clearly, and willingness to narrate newscasts for broadcasts
- Creating social media content for the CHONFM.com website and social media streams
- Other related duties as assigned by the senior management on a case by case basis
Job Knowledge and Skills:
- Grade 12, supplemented with courses in journalism or the equivalent in experience and training. College certificate or undergraduate degree in broadcast journalism are desired.
- Knowledge of Yukon First Nation political structures
- Knowledge of Canadian First Nation political structures
- Knowledge of the Umbrella Final Agreement, First Nation Final Agreements, and Self-Government Agreements
- Knowledge of the Yukon Legislative Assembly structure and members
- Knowledge of the Yukon and Federal criminal justice systems
- Ability to operate a computer, high level of proficiency in operating Microsoft Office products, like Outlook, Word, Excel
- Ability to learn and operate specialized NewsRoom digital desktop editing software
- Ability and knowledge in using audio editing software, like Adobe Audition or Audacity
- Research and investigative abilities
- Interviewing abilities, ability to speak in “public”
- Cross-cultural knowledge
This news reporter/journalist must follow the policies of Northern Native Broadcasting, Yukon.
Following professional broadcast and news journalism guidelines, the incumbent must show clear understanding of the role of a news journalist as independent, unbiased and ethical at all times.
respect to the indigenous peoples of Canada is a must.
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid Yukon drivers license, clean drivers abstract of one year
- Undertake NNBY Oath of Confidentiality
- Ability to travel throughout Yukon communities; including Rural Locations
- Ability to accept shift-work
- Ability to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to work with other radio personnel
Note that this position is 30 to 40 hours per week.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
More COVID-19 Cases Confirmed - Nov 26 2020
If you were at the Diwali festival on Saturday, November 14 and are experiencing any symptoms we recommend that you get tested immediately.
Largest Land Lottery in Whitehorse Announced
The Government of Yukon is accepting lottery applications and tenders for 257 lots in Whitehorse. They include 140 single family lots, one duplex lot, 91 townhouse lots, 11 multi-family lots and eight commercial lots in Whistle Bend, as well as five country residential lots in Hidden Valley.
Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program extended
The program provides low-income essential workers with a wage top-up of up to $4.00 per hour for 16 weeks. All services identified as critical or essential in the Guidelines for the delivery of critical, essential and other services are eligible.